Day 24

Today it's the turn of the 24th alphabet ''Ain" or ऐन as we'd write it in Devnaagri. I guess the English approximation would a dragged out N... Ain, you see? I have to say here that I had a bit of a tiff with "Ain" because the upper curlicue evaded me... I drew it and drew it and drew it, but it still didn't look right. So I skipped it and went looking for a word that begand with "Ain". When I found the right lafz (or word), a smile came to my face and the "Ain" fell in place.
Oh but first, the usual framework of "Ain" in its various positions...


And now for the reason to smile. 


The word I found for today is "azeez" (अज़ीज़). It means, variously, "dear", or "friend", or "beloved". It is the name of a friend I respect enormously. A far-away, yet very close friend. (That's you, AA!). 
So here's Azeez: Lovely name for a friend. (A bit like Major Major from Catch-22!) 




And here's the sh'er I simply have to post. Penned by the inimitable Mirza Ghalib (Yes, I will post other people's verse one of these days!) 
Haan woh nahi.n Khudaa-parast, jaao woh bewafaa sahii
jisko ho diin-o-dil azeez, uski galii mein jaaye kyon? 




P.S. Azeez Dost (Dear Friend) was kind enough to read this post. Here is what he had to say. (As always, I am floored by the man's erudition)
Incidentally, did you know there are two usages of azeez? One is the more familiar Persian sense of it as commonly used in the living language of the non-Arabic speaking world. The other is the Arabic sense of azeez. It's one of the 99 names (attributes) of God in Islam. It means The Overwhelmer. There are those who would never use it by itself to address another human. It would be the height of arrogance and hubris. It would always be Abdul Azeez (slave/servant of the overwhelmer). Theophoric if you will.

I am filled with wonder to have learnt a new concept. Thank you, Azeez Dost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment